Pages

Sunday 2 July 2017

OpenSim 'Freebies'

I know this isn't a popular opinion - but when I see regions advertising themselves on OpenSimWorld with 'freebies' and those freebies are Catwa heads, Freya, Maitreya (cleary pictured), and upon checking these freebies out they also include Blueberry clothing and other rigged mesh items specifically for Freya and Maitreya - I find it really disappointing.

I don't condone botting - but I know its pretty common. Someone has an item they paid good money for elsewhere and have no moral or ethical qualms about taking it out of the Big Grid so they can use it elsewhere. That in itself is a different topic outside of this. But to see these items taken from creators who spent a lot of time and money of their own to use programs and create items that take many hours to do - just offered for free to anyone as though it is some sort of good deed is kind of sad.

When I first found a body called Elena , I was pretty excited. Then I put it on and realized it was Maitreya's Lara. Even some parts were still named as such, and the clothing for it was identical to the blueberry clothing I have for Maitreya in SL. So trying another body - one called Mesh Body I believe - I saw it was Freya and had freya clothing.

And in a few other stores I saw these same bodies not even being disguised but actually just called Freya - and the Maitreya sales box with Elena written on it.

It just kind of discredits the opensim community. I understanding wanting to be a free comunity - but commercial creators DO deserve to get paid for their hard work. I am sure we have people here talented enough to take on the task of creating great content and they can do so and then give it away for free. But using exported items without permission KNOWINGLY (i do realize some people might not know what these things are, especially if they weren't familiar with them in SL) and giving it away for everyone else to use just seems kind of cruddy.

One of the photos used to promote a 'freebie' store in opensim

No comments:

Post a Comment